Thursday, December 28, 2006

AId India

I attended the Aid India conference from 23rd to 25th at Chennai last week. Many people ask me as to why I did that. I spent Rs. 6000 as air-fare from my own pocket when I could have simply given that money to Aid Delhi on one of its projects. The debate continued in my mind even during my stay there. I tell myself that I went there to see and learn, see what other like-minded people are doing and learn what other like-minded people are thinking.

I went to Chennai to be more sensitized to issues really affecting out country. No, I didn't go there to see the poor but what can be done to help those poor. I went there to to broaden my outlook, especially now that I am entering the corporate world, where I will have to take decisions which directly affects these people.

I know that I cannot stay with Aid India for long. I know that Mck and my subsequent professional life will make me so busy that there will be little time for volunteering. I know that his 'charade' as many of my friends call it will not last more than 6 months. What frightens me more is that the more I am getting involved with these ideas of community development, the less appreaciation I will have of the corporate world. I do not know what will I do if I am faced with a situation wherein my client is making a factory after robbing land from a number of poor villagers.

I know for sure that Mck is very professional and teaches you soon to work according to the company policies. I know that the work will be so addictive that there won't be any time for thinking about such issues and I will become a servant of my client like everybody else.

I only wish that I do not become my own servant as well.

3 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Marlee said...

As long as u remain true to urself everything will fall into its own place :-)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger cathatfished said...

isnt it better to be your own servant rather tahn anyone else's? even an McK client's :D

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger A Dash of Ash said...

"I only wish that I do not become my own servant as well "

Don't.Fight back.Every bit of THAT struggle will give you a kind of happiness that will long laster than the outward happiness (and honor?)that McK might give you.
I'm a first time reader.Read quite a lot of your posts.Some older ones too.After every post or two,I see in you the same look ... of wanting answers...to what questions, I do not know..
But as long as you have those questions,don't stop finding an answer.The time you stop looking for answers,you'll be as dead as half the world that walks around...
Sorry..didn't mean to be rude..if I have so seemed in saying all this,without knowing close to nothing about you..

Great blog..because the posts you have written sound very honest and straight forward..haven't read a blog so simple in quite a while..
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home